If you are certain your marriage is beyond repair the time to act is now. There are ways that taking swift action and speaking to a family law attorney now will help your case.
- Alimony: Its harder to get spousal support if you have been separated for a year and getting by without support. You are giving your ex an argument against getting the support you could otherwise get.
- Liabilities: The cut off in Florida is not the date of separation, but the date of filing the petition for divorce. That means you could be liable for any of the debts your soon to be ex spouse is racking up on your credit cards, etc.
- New Love Interests: The longer you are separated the more likely it will be that you both will move on with new romantic partners which can cause strong emotions and create complications and conflicts that otherwise wouldn’t be there.
- Uncertainty: Its harder for you, your soon to be ex, and your children to find closure, and begin your new journey as a family fully committed to co-parenting successfully when the divorce is still hanging in the balance.
- Freedom: Yes, this will be one of the hardest things you ever do. But on the other side is a new life full of new opportunities, potential, and peace. Don’t be afraid to take this important step toward a new sense of freedom and control over your future.
Even if you remain on the fence about being ready, reach out for a free consultation. Speaking with an experienced attorney may give you the right amount of clarity and confidence in taking action.